Monday, April 8, 2013

Housecleaning Grace


Last week we were storm-stayed at a neighbours' house. We clomped into their porch, 4 cold people, and the storm was so bad we ended up staying there a full 24 hours. The next day another neighbour with a snowmobile came to get my husband, who went home to get the tractor and dig us out.

While we were there, the lady kept apologizing for the state of her house. It got me thinking - why do we always do this? "Oh, so sorry for the mess..."

This accomplishes nothing. If your house is messier than mine, I feel uncomfortable and I don't know what to say. "You're right - your house is disgusting and I wish you weren't such a lazy toad!"

If your house is neater than mine, it makes me feel like a lazy toad. 

How about we just give each other some grace and stop judging? 

I have two dear friends locally that I am so glad to have - when I go to their house and I notice dog hair under the bookcase or slimy banana goo  on the cupboard door (about toddler-height), it's comforting. Their houses are sometimes dirty, too. And I'm not afraid to pick up the broom or washcloth and do a quick once-over. They know I'm not judging them: just helping them catch up with things that need to be done. Next time they're at my place, I won't waste time hoping that they don't notice the strawberry stains on the floor or the fingerprints on my oven, because I know they have them, too.

When someone drops in for an unexpected visit on our ranch, I won't apologize for the state of my house. And I don't think you need to, either.

I *will*, however, do a quick once-over to make sure my bra isn't still hanging to dry in the living room, and I'll try to get pants on my kids before I serve you coffee. 

No comments:

Post a Comment